I was tagged by fabulous Jade at Tasting Grace to share a little about myself in the 11-11-11 format.
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the questions given to you in the tagger’s post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag new people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and let them know they have been tagged.
1. Out of an average 30 days a month, I probably wear my hair down maybe... once or twice? I'm one of those moms whose hair remains in a ponytail or bun around the clock, so when I do make the time to dry and style it, I'm always a bit surprised to see how long it's gotten. Hair! It grows! Who knew? ;)
2. I'd never wear closed-toe shoes or socks if I could manage it. I like the idea of cute boots, but once they're on my feet longer than 5 minutes, I secretly abhor them. And if it's just my husband and me, I'll whine to him, "My feet are so hooooooooot. Socks are the woooooooorst." Maybe it's me, maybe it's my California-background, but I'd be super happy in flip-flops anytime, anywhere.
3. There is a slight addendum to the last fact: I love my Vans. I'll wear them with anything. They make my heart happy.
4. My favorite soundtrack ever which holds the power to calm me no matter what: Little Women (1994).
5. "Meet The Robinsons" makes me cry. I dig everything about that movie.
6. One of the coolest nights I spent in Washington D.C. last year was going with Ben to hear Ravi Zacharias speak at Constitution Hall (he spoke on "Relevant Hope - Christianity: A Failed Hope?")
7. I have pretty inexpensive taste as far as my own fashion goes, but I splurge on one thing: My perfume. I wear Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue, and it has special significance because Ben bought it for me as a pre-wedding gift, and the first time I wore it was when I walked down the aisle to become his wife.
8. Most surprising, everyday-life thing I learned as a new mom back in the summer of 2006: Newborns fart. Ours farted a lot, and more loudly than I ever expected a tiny person was capable of.
9. That newborn-now-almost-6-year-old created a chart on the white erase board this morning showing each of our family members' names, ages, and an allotted number of gifts. My name alone got a heart beside it. Swoon.
10. I couldn't watch "The Office" for years because the constant stream of awkward situations was too uncomfortable for me to watch. I can't stand observing people being humiliated or embarrassed. It makes me want to crawl out of my skin.
11. I wish I were braver about stating my opinion on things I've spent a lot of time studying and formulating a stance on. I shrink at the idea of confrontation, though, so I often remain silent. I'm working on it.
I love the idea of homesteading! Ben and I have always been drawn to a simpler, slower life with lots of emphasis on the outdoors, but enjoying such a setup comes more naturally to him than I. It would take some time to find a routine and deep-down appreciation for such a lifestyle, but I think we could do it well.
2. How many boyfriends (or lovers!) did you have before you got married (not counting your husband)?
0 :) That wasn't planned, to be honest. I had plenty of boys I liked but none that wanted to date me. Until Ben! And now that we're almost 7 years into a wonderful marriage, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. He's been my one and only love.
3. If you could drop everything and take a one-week vacation all by yourself somewhere, where would you go? What would you do?
Oh! Hm. New York City, I think. I'd go to museums and plays and write in the park and eat delicious food. And sleep in. I would sleep for probably half that week :)
4. What chore do you hate the most?
Laundry. Not a fan. Unfortunate, since our family generates A LOT of laundry.
5. What do you wish more people would know or notice about you?
I frequently deal with the classic assumption by strangers and new acquaintances that I don't have much to say about anything, because I am a stay-at-home mother. When people hear this and wander disinterestedly away or never try to engage me in conversation, I want to say, "Try asking my opinion on something. Or even, where I'm from; what I'm interested in. Believe it or not, I have lots of to say, and I'd love to have a conversation with you." I wish people wouldn't write me off as being one-dimensional, based entirely on my chosen vocation.
6. Do you prefer heat or cold?
Heat. Cold, people -- it merits shoe-wearing.
7. Red or white wine?
No idea. I've drank alcohol pretty infrequently because of how much of my life post-21 has been spent pregnant or nursing. Ask me again in 10 years.
8. What are some of your go-to, easy dishes to cook at home?
We're burrito fans. I love making scrambled eggs for dinner. Homemade pizza!
9. Favorite way to unwind?
Curled in a chair or in bed, warm cup of coffee, chocolate, good book = Bliss.
10. What’s your love language? (i.e. do you communicate love through: words of affirmation, acts of service, physical touch, purchasing gifts, or quality time?) Does it match your husband’s?
I communicate love mostly through words (lots and lots and lots of words), touch (not so much with people outside my family, but if you break the ice I'll hug you all day), and I love to give a thoughtfully-chosen gift from time to time. Ben is more of a service-oriented person: He always lets me sleep in, will surprise me by doing the dishes or cleaning up, and never minds watching the kids so I can sneak off for some alone-time.
11. What is one skill you wish you had learned?
I really wish I knew how to play the guitar. I think it'll happen someday. I love the idea of doing worship time as a family.
1. If you had to choose (and regardless of your ability in either), would you rather dance or sing in front of a large group of people?
2. What's the last movie you saw in a theater? Did you like it?
3. Tell me about one piece of dream decor or furniture you'd love to have in your home.
4. Describe a day when you've felt the most beautiful in your life.
5. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
6. What was (one of) your favorite childhood toy(s)?
7. Do you have siblings? Do you like where you are in the birth order, or being an only child? Has the number of siblings you grew up with affected your preference as an adult for how big of a family you'd like?
8. Would you rather live in a castle or on a private island?
9. Do you have an interest in learning foreign languages? Which would you pursue learning given the time and resources?
10. What's your favorite dish at Thanksgiving?
11. Coke/Pepsie/Dr. Pepper: Soda? Pop? Soda pop? Coke? Other? What do you call it? :)
Michelle, from Kissed By Sweets
Amy, from The Farmer's Wife
Merrilee, from Lilliedale
and Leslie, from Show The Wonder
Have a wonderful week, lovelies!